Town Hall & Memorial Mall
Town Hall Master Plan
(Annual Town Meeting 2003 Article 19-6; Special Town Meeting 2005 15-4)
These funds were appropriated to prepare a master plan for the Town Hall Mall, including irrigation and landscaping, and for the restoration of the façade and steps of the Town Hall. Both the mall and Town Hall subsequently received funding for restorative work which resulted in a more historically accurate façade and a more visitor-friendly community commons.
(Town Council Orders Number 09-063 and 11-046)
In order to restore the building for use as a community meeting space, funds were appropriated for an architectural assessment and for developing a plan of action to include plans and specifications for bidding the restoration project.
This Soldiers’ Memorial, constructed of Blue Westerly Granite, was dedicated on June 17, 1874 and honors Braintree soldiers who lost their lives during the Civil War.
The building, constructed in 1874 as the original Thayer Library, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and served as the Town’s library for 75 years before being closed in 1953.
Learn about the three phrases of restoration.
The restoration of the main entrance of Town Hall has helped to preserve the building for future generations.
This project enhanced the Town’s Memorial Mall, the historic space between the Town Hall and Washington Street.