Annual Town Street Listing Census

Every January/February the Clerk's Office is required, under Massachusetts General Law (MGL), to mail the annual street listing (census) form to every household in Braintree. Residents are urged to check the information contained on the form, make any necessary corrections, sign the form and return it to the Clerk's Office as soon as possible. Ignoring the first mailing leads to additional costs to taxpayers because the Clerk’s Office is required to print and mail additional notices and incur added postage expenses. If you or someone listed in your household has moved, please include a forwarding address.  Space has been provided at the bottom of the form to provide this information.  This information will allow our office to send a letter to you or any person listed to obtain their approval to remove them from the town’s information database.   Without their signature MGL does not allow the clerk to delete a person from our files.

 Anyone who does not receive a census form or has moved to Braintree since January 1 can obtain and complete a census form by clicking this link ANNUAL CENSUS FORM.

 Reasons to complete and return your census form are because the information is used in...

 Assisting public safety and emergency responders

  • Calculating state and federal aid and representatives
  • Projecting future school enrollment and costs
  • Serving as proof of residency, which is needed for things like veterans' benefits, in-state college tuition, and more
  • Maintaining the voter list - Inactive voters must fill out an affidavit when they appear to vote and are at risk of being deleted from the voter list if they remain inactive for several years


                                                                                   CENSUS FAQ

Who should complete the street list form? 

Any adult residing in the home can complete and sign the form.

Last year I indicated that someone no longer lives in the house, so why are they still on the form this year?

A registered voter who moves and does not register to vote in another community cannot be removed from our street list until they have not voted in two state election cycles (4-years), unless they return a signed census with their new address. If we have no forwarding address, we have no way to get them to return a signed form. If you have a way of contacting the person who moved out, let them know they can OBTAIN A FORM HERE and return the form with their old Braintree address, new address and signature. 

Why is my family split between multiple pages or different addresses?

This can happen for a number of reasons including different last names, RMV paperwork or voter activity. Please return the forms together and indicate on them which residents should be listed on one form as a household group.  

 What do I need to do with the form?

Please look over the names listed on the form. 

  • If there are no changes to the pre-printed information, simply sign and return the form to the Clerk’s Office.
  • If there are any changes to be made the following instructions are on the back of the form:


VOTER:                  If a letter appears in this column you are a registered voter. D, Democrat; R, Republican; U, unenrolled (formerly referred to as independent). If nothing is listed, you are not a registered voter in the Town of Braintree.

NAME:                    Check names for any spelling errors or changes.

DATE OF BIRTH:  If your date of birth is incorrect, please make appropriate changes.

OCCUPATION:      Please list job title, NOT place of employment.

VETERAN:             Place a “Y” in the column if you are a U.S. Veteran.

NATIONALITY:      If you are not a citizen of the United States, please enter the country from which you have citizenship.

MOVED:                 Put a line through the person’s name and enter an “X” MOVED. If new address is known please record in “moved section” on reverse side with their new mailing address.

DECEASED:          Put a line through the person’s name and enter an “X” DECEASED.

PUBLIC SAFETY: Check box in column if you are a Police, Fire, or State Trooper (Public Service Commission Status)

  If you have additional questions, you can call the Clerk's Office at (781) 794-8240.

 We appreciate your assistance in gathering this information and keeping our residential records and voter list up-to-date!

Each August the Annual Street Listing book is available for purchase in the Town Clerk's Office.