In 1947, after years of wartime shortages, the Board of Trustees authorized a fund raising program to raise $500,000. The money would serve three purposes: to erect a new gymnasium, to convert the old White Gymnasium into science classrooms, and to establish a retirement fund for the faculty.
Sawyer Athletic Center
The new Memorial Gymnasium was completed in 1952 and its completion was celebrated along with the 75th anniversary of the Academy’s founding. The brand new gym hosted a reception as well as a dance during the event. The Memorial Gymnasium is dedicated to the men from Thayer who lost their lives fighting in World War II. Today, the Gymnasium is part of the Sawyer Athletic Center.